Saturday, December 7, 2013

What People Don't Tell You About Parenthood



Many people always ask parents, "How does it feel to be a parent? Is it hard?"

The most common answer I always hear would be, "Even though it is hard, it is worth it. It makes you a better person and I have never been happier in my life."

Well, that phrase it true up to a point, but I feel that this phrase just makes parenthood sound easy and bearable when the truth is, sometimes (or most of the time) it just drives us nuts but we don't want to admit it because most of us feel that if we complain about it, we are considered as bad parents.



But I don't think should think that way because we are just human. We have limits for our patience, our energy, our strength, our... what else? hmmm... etc etc =)

I believe that no one can ever be ready for parenthood no matter how old you are. I don't like comments when people relate your hardship with your age when any parent of all age would have still gone through similar parenting difficulties, well at least most of it.

Well, most of the time, parenthood is very tiring, at least for me. When I don't have enough sleep and my back aches because of carrying my baby too much, or when my ear drums just want to burst from the screaming and crying, when I just stink of vomit and baby poop and I have no time to shower, I will feel parenting sucks and I just want to run a way. I want to blame the whole world for the misery I'm in.

But when I'm in a good mood which is usually after a nice nap, or when my breast is empty of milk, nothing would spoil my mood even with the most noisiest cries, the most heaviest baby to carry, the stinkiest vomit.. everything is just as easy as ABC and your level of patience is so high, you might even nearly reach Buddhahood.

But of course, there are also times when you are so dead tired taking care of your baby but some how your baby became the most angelic baby at that moment and listens to you, do what you want and smiles at you, then your tiredness and fatigue will just melt away (for a moment or two only). THAT is when you feel parenthood is worth it. Then you hold on to that moment tightly and hope that this unique feeling will help you and guide and give you strength to raise this little child (or children) of yours until they are able to fend on their own.

I believe not every one love being a parent. Just like some mothers just don't like to breast feed. Even though we feel these are natural things, but not all of these things are quite comfortable for every one of us.

I would admit that there are times, I wish I could just leave everything and go out for a drink without having to plan or arrange anything. I wish I could have more time being alone with my husband. I wish I can travel again, I wish I don't feel so tired & stinky everyday, I wish for so many things which I could have done when it was just me and my husband. But for now, most of the time it would be for my baby first then only us.

It is weird, this thing called parenthood.

Even though there is so much inconvenience about it, I am still able to enjoy it and love my child very much. It is ironic that even though my child ties me down, I'm so 'in love' with him that I'm willing to wait and sacrifice my time for him even though he drives me nuts most of the time. But I think it is because, deep in my heart I know that I should cherish this moment; because as he grows up into an independent person, I will be missing these moments where he needs me the most..

No comments:

Post a Comment