Saturday, December 21, 2013

Are The Toys Really For Your Baby Or For Yourself?


When you go to the department stores at the Baby's area, they are filled with colourful toys which are all waiting to attract your attention. You then browse through them, picking and scrutinizing each of them, thinking which toy is best for your child.

Then you found the ideal toy and bought it.

Who knew, you will be the one playing with that toy most of the time instead of your baby.

At least that usually happens to me!


Haha. From this, I realised that most toys although they are meant of the children, the toy manufacturer usually aims their marketing at the parents because the true customers are actually the parents. Parents buy the toys because it attracts them and not because it attract their babies.

Also, do you realize usually each toy, on the packaging it would mention the suitable age for children to play/ use that toy? On some toys, it wrote 3 months and above, but actually most of the time the suggested age is lower than the real age. Let me elaborate. You see at 3 months old, you can't really control your limbs and grab things and your vision is more attracted to black and white more than colours because at that time, your eyes is still unable to sense colours.


So many of these '3 months old and above' toys are still too advanced for your 3 month old baby. So most of the time, I will be the one ending up playing with it and my baby would be having his play time without any toys to play.

Well, you see, below 6 months old, the world and the surrounding itself is a playground. Their own hands, feet, legs etc are their first toys, experimenting and learning how to use it would be their primary interest.

Until now (6 months), my baby is still not interested in most of the toys. He does enjoy the toy that makes rattling noise though. But he can't rattle it himself and usually I'll be the one who rattles for him.

He enjoys sucking his fingers and toes (yeah, he is very flexible) more than anything else for the moment.

So if you have a restrain budget, it is alright to buy your baby some toys much later when he/ she is older in my opinion.

But somehow, I enjoy playing with his toys because it brings back many childhood memories and it makes my imagination goes wild. I hope that my wild imagination will still be with me when he is older, so that I can be his playmate if ever he needs one. We can then make an empty room feels like Disneyland with just two of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment